Office: 2.91, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road,
Manchester M13 9PL UK
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
I'm now a Lecturer
(Assistant Professor) in Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester.
I also act as an academic visitor of Department of Computer Science and a senior common room member of Oriel College, in University of Oxford.
Before that, I was a Senior Researcher (Research Co-Investigator) at Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford
and a member of Data and Knowledge Group led by Prof. Ian Horrocks.
I was also previously a PostDoctoral Researcher in GIScience Group
led by Prof. Alexander Zipf in Heidelberg University.
I got my Ph.D in Computer Science and Technology in Zhejiang University, supervised by Prof. Zhaohui Wu and
Prof. Huajun Chen,
acted as as a visiting student of Zurich University, supervised by Prof. Daning Hu,
and got my Bachelor degree in Computer Science and Technology in Zhejiang University.
I'm interested in a few knowledge graph related topics including Knowledge Graph Construction and Curation, Knowledge Graph Embedding and Reasoning, Knowledge Graph-based Zero-shot and Transfer Learning,
Semantic Web, Neuro-Symbolic AI with Knowledge Graph, etc.
In recent five years, I mainly work for the following aspects.
- Knowledge Graph Construction and Curation.
These works are a part of the AIDA
project of the Alan Turing Institute, the Knowledge Graph Construction for Personalisation
project funded by Samsung Research UK,
the EPSRC ConCur project, etc.
Relevant topics include knowledge graph (ontology) embedding, reasoning, alignmet, completion, quality assurance, etc.
- Zero-shot learning, Transfer Learning, Machine Learning Guidance and Explainability.
These works involve Neural-Symbolic solutions utilizing knowledge graphs.
I collaborate with Huajun Chen and Wen Zhang from Zhejiang University,
Jeff Z. Pan from The University of Edinburgh and so on.
I am recruiting new PhD students on knowledge graph construction
and knowledge graph for machine learning guidance and explainability.
EPSRC "ConCur: Knowledge Graph Construction and Curation" (EP/V050869/1), 1.1M GBP, 12/2021 - 11/2024, Research Co-Investigator (PI: Ian Horrocks).
Turing-Manchester Feasibility Project "Knowledge Graph for Explainability, Guidance and Human-in-the-loop in Machine Learning", 44K GBP, 11/2022 - 04/2023, PI.
- Editor Board of Data Intelligence Journal (2021 -- now).
- Editor Board of Journal of Web Semantics (2020 -- now).
- Organiser of the OAEI Track "Bio-ML: A ML-friendly Biomedical track for Equivalence and Subsumption Matching" in ISWC 2022 (October 23 - 27).
- Guest Editor of the JoWS special issue "Automating Knowledge Graph Construction".
- Organiser of SemTab: Semantic Web Challenge on Tabular Data to Knowledge Graph Matching which is in conjunction with International Semantic Web Conference (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022).
- Co-chair of Semantic Web Challenge Chair of ISWC'21.
- PC/SPC of IJCAI, AAAI, ISWC, WWW, ACL, EMNLP, KDD, ECML-PKDD, CIKM, ESWC, OM, NeSy, CCKS, etc.
- Member of SIRIUS Centre for Scalable Data Access in Norway. (11/2017 - now)
- Consultant on knowledge graph construction (in collaboration with Xi Chen), Jarvis Lab of Tencent Technology, Shenzhen, China. (03/2020 - 02/2021)
- Consultant, Oxford Semantic Technology, Oxford, UK. (12/2019 - 02/2020)
- Enterprise Fellow of MPLS Division of University of Oxford. (10/2019 - 09/2020)
- Jiaoyan Chen, Yuan He, Yuxia Geng, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Hang Dong, Ian Horrocks. "Contextual Semantic Embeddings for Ontology Subsumption Prediction". Under work. Pre-print
- Wen Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Juan Li, Zezhong Xu, Jeff Z Pan, Huajun Chen. "Knowledge Graph Reasoning with Logics and Embeddings: Survey and Perspective". Under work. Pre-print
- Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Zhuo Chen, Jeff Z. Pan, Yuan He, Wen Zhang, Ian Horrocks and Huajun Chen. "Zero-shot and Few-shot Learning with Knowledge Graphs: A Comprehensive Survey". New survey paper under revision. Pre-print
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Wen Zhang, Jeff Z. Pan, Mingyang Chen, Huajun Chen, Song Jiang. "Relational Message Passing for Fully Inductive Knowledge Graph Completion". ICDE 2023 (accepted). Pre-print
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Wen Zhang, Yajing Xu, Zhuo Chen, Jeff Z. Pan, Yufeng Huang, Feiyu Xiong, Huajun Chen. "Disentangled Ontology Embedding for Zero-shot Learning". KDD 2022. Paper, Github
- Yuan He, Jiaoyan Chen, Hang Dong, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ali Hadian and Ian Horrocks. "Machine Learning-Friendly Biomedical Datasets for Equivalence and Subsumption Ontology Matching". ISWC 2022 (Best Resource Paper Candidate). Paper,Github
- Zhuo Chen, Yufeng Huang, Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Yin Fang, Jeff Z. Pan, Ningyu Zhang, Wen Zhang. "LaKo: Knowledge-driven Visual Question Answering via Late Knowledge-to-Text Injection". IJCKG 2022 (Best Application Paper).
- Yuan He, Jiaoyan Chen, Denvar Antonyrajah and Ian Horrocks. "BERTMap: A BERT-based Ontology Alignment System". AAAI 2022. Paper,Github
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Xiang Zhuang, Zhuo Chen, Jeff Z. Pan, Juan Li, Zonggan Yuan and Huajun Chen. "Benchmarking Knowledge-driven Zero-shot Learning". Journal of Web Semantics. Accepted in 2022. Github, Pre-print
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, Xi Chen and Erik B. Myklebust. "An assertion and alignment correction framework for large scale knowledge bases", 2021, Semantic Web Journal. Paper
- Zhiyuan Qi, Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Yefeng Zheng. "PRASEMap: A Probabilistic Reasoning and Semantic Embedding based Knowledge Graph Alignment System". CIKM, Demo, 2021.Paper,Codes, PRASEMap Demo
- Zhuo Chen, Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Jeff Z. Pan, Zonggan Yuan and Huajun Chen. "Zero-shot Visual Question Answering usingKnowledge Graphs", ISWC, 2021.
- Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Zhuo Chen, Ian Horrocks, Jeff Z. Pan and Huajun Chen. "Knowledge-aware Zero-shot Learning: Survey and Perspective". IJCAI Survey Track, 2021. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Pan Hu, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ole Magnus Holter, Denvar Antonyrajah and Ian Horrocks. "OWL2Vec*: Embedding of OWL Ontologies". Machine Learning 110.7 (2021): 1813-1845. Github,Paper
- Zhiyuan Qi, Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Yuejia Xiang, Ningyu Zhang, Yefeng Zheng. "Unsupervised Knowledge Graph Alignment by Probabilistic Reasoning and Semantic Embedding". IJCAI, 2021.Paper,Codes,PRASEMap Demo
- Yuejia Xiang, Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Zhenxi Lin and Yefeng Zheng. "OntoEA: Ontology-guided Entity Alignment via Joint Knowledge Graph Embedding". Findings of ACL, 2021.Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, Denvar Antonyrajah, Ali Hadian and Jaehun Lee. "Augmenting Ontology Alignment by SemanticEmbedding and Distant Supervision". ESWC, 2021 (Best Paper Nominee). Github/Paper
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Zhuo Chen, Jeff Z. Pan, etc. "OntoZSL: Ontology-enhanced Zero-shot Learning". The Web Conference (WWW), 2021. With case studies on both image classification and KG completion.Paper,Data and Codes
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lecue, Jeff Z. Pan, Shumin Deng, Huajun Chen. "Knowledge Graph Embeddings for Dealing with Concept Drift in Machine Learning". Journal of Web Semantics 67 (2021): 100625. Paper
- Ian Horrocks, Jiaoyan Chen and Jaehun Lee. "Tool Support for Ontology Design and Quality Assurance". ICBO 2020 Integrated Food Ontology Workshop (IFOW). Paper
- Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Hualuo Liu, Yuejia Xiang, Bo Liu and Yefeng Zhang. "An Industry Evaluation of Embedding-based Entity Alignment". The 28th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING'2020), Industry Track. Data,Paper,Video
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lecue, Yuxia Geng, Jeff Z. Pan and Huajun Chen. "Ontology-guided Semantic Composition for Zero-Shot Learning", KR 2020 -- Special Session KR and Machine Learning Paper,Video
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Zhiquan Ye, Wei Zhang and Huajun Chen. "Explainable Zero-shot Learning via Attentive Graph Convolutional Network and Knowledge Graphs" Semantic Web Journal, accepted in 2020 (to publish). Paper
- Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Oktie Hassanzadeh, Vasilis Efthymiou, Jiaoyan Chen and Kavitha Srinivas. "SemTab 2019: Resources to Benchmark Tabular Data to Knowledge Graph Matching Systems." ESWC 2020. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Ian Horrocks, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz and Erik B. Myklebus. "Correcting Knowledge Base Assertions." The Web Conference (WWW) 2020. Paper Github
- Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Asan Agibetov, Jiaoyan Chen, Matthias Samwald and Valerie Cross. "Dividing the Ontology Alignment Task with Semantic Embeddings and Logic-based Modules." the 24th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) 2020.
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz and Ian Horrocks. "Canonicalizing Knowledge Base Literals." International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2019. Paper Github
- Erik B. Myklebust, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Jiaoyan Chen, Raoul Wolf, Knut Erik Tollefsen. "Knowledge Graph Embedding for Ecotoxicological Effect Prediction." International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2019. In-Use Track Best Student Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, and Charles Sutton. "Learning Semantic Annotations for Tabular Data." IJCAI 2019. Github Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, and Charles Sutton. "ColNet: Embedding the Semantics of Web Tables for Column Type Prediction." AAAI 2019. Github
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lécué, Jeff Z. Pan, Ian Horrocks, and Huajun Chen. "Knowledge-based Transfer Learning Explanation." KR 2018. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Yan Zhou, Alexander Zipf and Hongchao Fan. "Deep Learning from Multiple Crowds: A Case Study of Humanitarian Mapping." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 57 (3), 1713-1722, 2018. (Project DeepVGI in University of Heidelberg, see more)
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lécué, Jeff Z. Pan, and Huajun Chen. "Learning from ontology streams with semantic concept drift." IJCAI 2017. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Huajun Chen, Zhaohui Wu, Daning Hu, and Jeff Z. Pan. "Forecasting smog-related health hazard based on social media and physical sensor." Information Systems 64 (2017): 281-291.
See Google Scholar.
Invited Talks and Tutorials
- Knowledge-aware Zero-shot Learning (K-ZSL): Concepts, Methods and Resources. Tutorial in ISWC 2022 (October 23 - 27). Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Yufeng Huang, Huajun Chen.
- "Knowledge Graphs: Theory & Applications". eBay, California, USA (online). In conjunction with Prof. Ian Horrocks. 09/2021. Slides.
- "Knowledge Graph Construction, Curation and Its Machine Learning Applications". 2021年江苏省研究生地理大数据与空间智能暑期学校 (Summer School on Big Geo Data and AI for Graduate Student, Jiangsu Province, 2021), online, China. 08/2021. Slide
- "Knowledge-driven Zero-shot Learning". Conference on "Data Intelligence and Knowledge Service" organized by the Data Intelligence journal. Hybrid (online and Nanjing), China. 07/2021. Slides
- "Knowledge Graph Curation with Deep Learning and Semantic Reasoning". Tencent Technology, Shenzhen, China, 10/2019. Slides
- "Knowledge Graph Curation with Deep Learning and Semantic Reasoning". Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China, 10/2019.
- "Knowledge Graph Curation with Deep Learning". Southeast University, Nanjing, China, 08/2019
- "Artificial Inteligence". Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford. Group Class Teaching. Hilary Term 2022.
- "Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (English)". Southeast University, China. Guest Lecture. Autumn Term of 2021 and 2022.
- “Augmenting Machine Learning with Knowledge Base”, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK, 01/2018 (Guest Lecture to the course of CS551J Knowledge Representation and Reasoning by Jeff Z. Pan)
- Zhenyu Wu (PhD, Department of Computer Science, The University of Manchester, 2022 - now)
- Jingchuan Shi (PhD, Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford, 2021 - now)
- Yuan He (PhD, Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford, 2020 - now)
- Yuxia Geng (PhD, College of Computer Science and Technology, Zhejiang University, 2018 - now)
- Erik Bryhn Myklebust (PhD, NIVA & SIRIUS, University of OSLO, 2019 - 2022)
- Mathias Jackermeier (MSc, Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford, 2022)
- Zhengyi Xiao (MSc, Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford, 2022)
- Yan Zhou (MSc, GIScience, University of Heidelberg, 2016 - 2017)